Presented by David Rupp of IndiGo Birding Nature Tours
@ Mt. Gilead Friends Retreat
3363 N. Mt. Gilead Rd., Bloomington
Spend the morning listening to and learning about the birds that inhabit the 60 wooded acres of Mt. Gilead Friends Retreat! David Rupp will host a workshop that gives everyone a chance to connect with nature. Arrive at 6:30 a.m. to the music of the pre-dawn birdsong chorus. Please bring a favorite short quote, piece of poetry, or Bible verse regarding birds to be shared as the sun first rises. A small breakfast of oatmeal, fruit, hot tea and coffee will be provided. After eating, participants will learn the basics of birdsong and go on a hike through the various habitats at Mt. Gilead. Expect to hear the Scarlet Tanager, Louisiana Waterthrush, Cerulean Warbler, and also many of the more common birds that you might know from your backyard. David will help you learn to identify the songs of these birds and give you a few tricks to remember them as well. Leave with a new appreciation for our local birdsong symphony!
- A short quote about birds
- A comfortable lawn chair to sit in as we listen to the birds
- Layers of clothing… it will likely be chilly at first and then warm up considerably
- Hiking boots
- A travel mug for our hot drinks
- A breakfast of oatmeal, fruit, tea, and coffee (you are welcome to bring a yummy contribution to the breakfast if you would like)
- Binoculars (you are welcome to bring your own… and a field guide might be useful)
The workshop will still be held if it rains. We can use the Mt. Gilead shelter and the birds will still sing. In case of storms, the workshop will be rescheduled or cancelled.
Pre-registration required. To register, email email@example.com and mail a check (made out to Mt. Gilead Friends Retreat) to 3363 N. Mt. Gilead Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408. Contact David Rupp with questions you might have at firstname.lastname@example.org.